The Village of Avon

If there is a commercial center to Hatteras Island, it is Avon. Located nine miles south of Salvo, the village has a shopping plaza that includes a supermarket and hardware store as well as a number of locally owned restaurants and craft stores.

One of the best fishing piers on the Outer Banks is located in the village; there is a seafood market with some of the freshest fish around; art galleries, coffee shops and bakeries and recreational opportunities galore.

Navigating Avon

Avon is nine miles south of Salvo and four miles north of Buxton. The open road between towns is part of Cape Hatteras National Seashore (CHNS). All beaches on Hatteras Island are part of CHNS.

Most businesses are located along the two miles it takes NC12 to pass through the town. Although it cannot be seen from the road, the Atlantic Ocean is only a block to a block and a half to the east of the road.

To the west, Avon is at a little bulge on the soundside of the Outer Banks. There is a rarely used commercial dock in the village as well as a number of homes that reflect the fishing heritage of the area.

To take a quick tour of the town - and it is small - turn at the light at Harbor Road. Sunrise Seafood Market, a wonderful local seafood market, will be on the southwest corner. There isn’t much happening along the docks now, but at one time it was a small, but thriving commercial dock that handled seafood harvested from Pamlico Sound.

Avon Pier in Outer Banks

The Avon Pier

Did You Know?

The original name for Avon was Kinnakeet, an Algonquin Indian word meaning place where people meet. 

A Little History -  Why The Name Avon?

The original name for Avon was Kinnakeet, an Algonquin Indian word meaning place where people meet. In 1883 the Postal Service declared the new name for the village would be Avon. It is unclear why that decision was made. Longtime residents of Hatteras Island will often still call Avon Kinnakeet.

The Disappearance of a Maritime Forest

Until the second half of the 19th century, Avon was home to a dense maritime forest. However, on the Outer Banks the dominant trees of a maritime forest are live oak and cedar, two trees that produced wood ideal for the ship building industry.

Recognizing the value of the trees, villagers stripped the land bare of the forest. With the sand no longer anchored by the tree roots, by 1900 reports of giant moving sand dunes became part of the local story. The dunes have been stabilized.

The Lifesaving Service

Just north of Avon, the Little Kinnakeet Lifesaving Station is in the process of being restored. The original building dates from 1874 and was one of the first seven Lifesaving Service station on the Outer Banks. The 1874 building is almost fully restored.

Also on the grounds is a 1904 building that was added as the Little Kinnakeet Station became more important. Other than structural work to shore up the tower, very little has been done to date on the 1904 building. The station was decommissioned in 1954.

Additional work will be undertaken as funds become available. At this point in time, the buildings are behind a chainlink fence and can be seen but not be visited. The buildings are located along a soundside ORV trail 2.3 miles north of Avon.

FAQ'S

What was Avon named earlier?

In 1873, Avon was officially called Kinnakeet. Kinnakeet was an Algonquin word that meant "mixed". The term mixed was used to signify the mixing of the Native tribes and the English settlers. The name Kinnakeet was later changed to Avon 10 years later in 1883